London: Longmans, Green and Co., 1891. W. G. Burn-Murdoch. First Edition. Hard Cover. 12mo. Near Fine. Item #6931
SIGNED AND INSCRIBED BY INDUSTRY GIANT WILLIAM E. DODGE (1832-1903), to fellow industry giant, John Stewart Kennedy (1830-1909), on the FEP, and dated Jan. 1892. Bound in original green cloth, with man fishing on front panel, stamped in gilt on front panel; beveled edges, black coated end papers. 176 pages, 4 pages of ads. With 3 etchings and numerous illustrations by W. G. Burn-Murdoch. Internally, very clean. William E. Dodge, Jr. (1832-1903), was one of two controlling partners in the Phelps Dodge Corporation; Phelps Dodge purchased the Detroit Copper Mining Co. of Arizona, which owned a copper mine in Warren Arizona. Dodge and his partners then purchased a minority interest in the Copper Queen Mine in Bisbee, Arizona. When the Copper Queen and Detroit Copper both struck the Atlanta Lode in 1884, Phelps Dodge bought out the remaining interest in the Copper Queen. In 1888, they formed a railroad, which became known as the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad. Dodge was active in the New York City chapter of the YMCA and led the efforts to build the chapter's first and second buildings.Mr. Dodge was for many years a member of Dr. Charles H. Parkhurst's (of Tammany Hall fame) Presbyterian congregation. John Stewart Kennedy (1830-1909), was a fellow Presbyterian, banker, philanthropist, railroad magnate and founder of the J. S. Kennedy & Co., in New York City. He died of whooping cough in 1909. A beautiful copy, near fine, with a teriffic association.