The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1847. Full-Leather. Item #6717
Large folio (17 3/8" x 11 1/4"), printed in red and black; the Babworth Church copy, with "Babworth Church, 1849" stamped in gilt on front panel; bound in full black morocco, marbled end papers, all edges gilt. "According to the use of the United Church of England and Ireland: Together with The Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung or said in churches; and the form and manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests and Deacons. Printed by John W. Parker, University printer. "The Order for Morning Prayer" section a little browned, two leaves with closed tears and fore-corners chipped, with loss of three words. [Bound with]: "A New Version of the Psalms of David, fitted to the tunes used in churches. By Tate and Brady." Cambridge: John W. Parker, 1838. A magnificent tome in a beautiful contemporary fine binding. "Prior to the Norman Conquest, in 1066, Babworth (Babvrde) was part of the King's manor of Bodmeschell. Babworth parish church, All Saints, is quintessentially English and is surrounded by greenery. The church is about 900 years old. It is a small structure with a tower steeple with three old bells (to which were added three newly cast bells in the late 1950s) and a clock, a nave, chancel and a porch. Babworth is well known for its connection with the Pilgrim Fathers - the early settlers of the Plymouth Colony in present-day Massachusetts, USA. Richard Clyfton was parson here between 1586 and 1605. Two of his friends were William Brewster and William Bradford, both passengers aboard The Mayflower......." (Wikipedia).